Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Trip to the Primary School

I'm writing about something that happened a few weeks ago, but I never had a chance to share and I've been meaning to. For those who haven't been paying attention, my friend and fellow long-term volunteer Risette has started up a new project at Daktari called the Outreach Project (donate here). She's working with the kids when they return to their schools to continue their environmental education, help their communities, and eventually find jobs in the ecotourism field. Some of the kids from one of the club had the great idea to go to the primary school and talk to all the little kids about taking care of the environment. I wasn't at that visit, but the headmaster was so inspired that he started a competition to see which grade could pick up the most trash around the village (of which there is so, so much).

I was lucky enough to go along with Risette and the three girls from the eco club to present the prizes to the kids after they had finished the competition. It was so cute, especially to see the little kids with bags of trash bigger than they are! The big girls had a great time handing out the candy to the little kids, and the kids were so excited. It was also nice just to be around smaller kids for a little while!

I will share some photos from the visit. I'm looking forward to a short trip to the Kruger Park before Saturday when we get seven new volunteers for me to train. It's a bit daunting but should be fun too - I can't believe I come home in less than six weeks!

Proud kids with their big bags of trash:


One of the older girls handing out candy:

Can you find me?

Risette, me, the headmaster, teachers, and a bunch of kids:


No comments:

Post a Comment