Monday, January 30, 2012

The Panorama Route

There are a bunch of excursions around the area that volunteers usually go on. Of course I thought I would space them out over the course of my six months here, but then it got down to the last month or so and I realized that I hadn't done a lot of things I wanted to do! So for starters, I've extended my ticket two weeks, to now leave at the end of February instead of on the 11th. This is giving me time to go to Capetown, and probably also to Swaziland. Pretty cool.

It also means that last week I went with a group of three volunteers on what is known around here as "The Panorama Route." It is a gorgeous drive through the Drakensberg mountains that stops along the way at some beautiful vista points, and ends in the town of Pilgrim's Rest for lunch. It takes you along the edge of the Blyde River Canyon, which is the third largest canyon in the world, and the largest "green" canyon, meaning that it is lush and green instead of dry and brown (like the grand canyon). It was really beautiful! Since it's better to show than tell, here are a bunch of photos:

This is the lookout known as the "three rondawels" (the three circular hut-looking forms on the left). That's the Blyde River running in the canyon below.

 Overlooking the canyon:
 Down at the base of the canyon:
 "Bourke's Potholes," another scenic spot where the water has done amazing things to the walls along the river.
 This is really such a beautiful country. Vistas like this just when you're walking around.
 After a short climb to the lookout known as "God's Window," overlooking the lowveld.

No comments:

Post a Comment