Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Kruger With the Kids

First, some very sad news. Unfortunately during the day yesterday Rocky went to sleep and never woke up. We will give him a proper burial, and we understand that this is part of the "circle of life." Clearly, he was not meant to live. Next time we need a pet, we have been instructed to pick a healthier one.

On to better news! We had a very successful Kruger trip on Sunday. The kids really enjoyed looking at all the animals, and so did we volunteers. I took a ton of photos with my big camera, and I picked out a few to share here. No matter how many times I see them out the window, it is still amazing to be so close to these wild animals outside of an enclosure. Also - I was finally able to upload my video from weeks ago to the post titled "Palesa," so now it's there. On to the animals!

Mom and baby giraffe:
 Cape Buffalo:
 Black and white giraffe:
 It was exciting to see so many zebras because the last time I was in Africa they were nowhere to be found. Everyone else calls them "Zeh-bras" with a soft "e" sound, and I don't have any other Americans here to back me up!
 Waterbuck:

 Mommy and baby baboon:
 Zebra posing:
 All the kids and Charlie:
 This bird flew off right as I clicked the shutter.

I took a lot of photos when I took the kids to the game lodge next door today, I will add them soon! 

4 comments:

  1. Love these photos and love the fact that you took them!

    Living vicariously through your blog. Hope you're having the best time. Miss ya xxoo

    -Lex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Rocky, but you know how it goes with pet rats ;)

    Great photos but please keep an eye out for my fav, lilac breasted rollers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who instructed you to "to pick a healthier one" next time and why? It sounds as if Rocky very much needed your love. Yes, losing a pet hurts but knowing you have given love where it was most needed is a priceless feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumblinn - it was mostly a joke when we were instructed to pick a healthier rat. all the mice and rats that are bred here are used as food for the larger animals, so we usually try not to get too attached. we were of course lucky to have rocky as long as we did, and wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete