Saturday, August 20, 2011

Daktari: Week Two

Another week flew by here at Daktari. We had a group of ten boys who were at a higher level than many of the kids who come here, and it was a lot of fun for all the volunteers and the kids both. I'm continuing to find my place in a leadership role, and learn the entire teaching program and all the animal care tasks that need to take place every day. I have started to take some photos to try and get across how funny life here can be. Sometimes it occurs to me at random times, such as last night when we were hanging out and playing cards into the night, and along came Spiky the porcupine begging for food (he likes potatoes and apples the best).

This week I got to do the social talk with a group of boys about safe sex and HIV/AIDS. It was really interesting to hear their questions, and it felt like perhaps the most important thing they get during their time here. It was me and Luke, an Australian boy who arrived on Saturday, and five of the rowdier boys this week. We talked about pregnancy, rape, disease, masturbation, and any and all questions that they had. It included lessons in putting on condoms, and the opportunity for them to speak openly about sex, which they do not usually get.

Today we decided not to go into town, so we are hanging out on site all day. If it gets warm enough, which it might, we are planning on putting bathing suits on and checking out the freezing cold swimming pool. Tomorrow, me and three of my favorite people get to accompany ten kids into Kruger Park, which should be an incredible experience. We have to leave here at four am, pick up all the kids, and get to the park gate by 7:30am. It is a reward for one child from each of the past ten weeks who the volunteers picked out as the most improved, polite, and/or respectful during their week here. They have been looking forward to it for weeks, and it is a once in a lifetime experience for most of them.

Here are some photos to update you on my day to day life here.

This is the "board" that is my domain. It includes the daily schedule, all the animal chores for the  days and the weeks, and any other reminders/projects that need to get done. Every night I lead a "board meeting" where we assign the tasks for the next day. The warthogs, Samantha and Miranda, are lounging in front of the board here, waiting for their lunch (the kitchen is behind the board).

As a long-term volunteer, I sleep in the main house in a nice private room. I will have to give it up in a few weeks (and switch to an only slightly-less-desirable room) - but for now it is lovely. The only funny thing about the main house is that its where Chico and Poncho the bushbabies live. For those who don't know what a bushbaby is, this is Chico:
She is SO cute. And soft. But unfortunately she is nocturnal, and lives in my house. Which means most mornings I get a five am visit from Chico (who they thought was a boy until she gave birth to Poncho) and/or Poncho jumping all around my room and on my head. It's a good thing they're so cute... 

My friend Charlie wanted me to write about her in the blog, and I told her I would only write if I could post an embarrassing picture of her. So here goes: 
Charlie is from England, and I am glad she is here to be my friend.  

It is really fun to watch the kids interact with the animals, when the only animals they usually see are domestic animals (most of whom they eat):

The last animal that it is very important I introduce is a rat named Rocky. There is another long-term volunteer named Andrea, and she works in the office. She took over the job of breeding the mice and rats that are used as food for many of the other animals, and now oversees a ton of babies all the time. There was one little guy who was the runt of the litter, with one eye, a head that's too big, and slightly lame back legs. So of course there was only one question... Can we keep him? 

 He is the sweetest little guy ever, and is something of a mascot. He has been near death at least three times since we found him, but so far he is pulling through, and if he makes it he will certainly be the friendliest rat ever. Even Charlie, who initially thought he was gross and ugly, is coming around (these are her hands in the photo) because he is just so sweet. 

The next time I write I will hopefully have photos of all sorts of crazy animals we see in Kruger tomorrow! 

2 comments:

  1. Rats make the greatest pets. So glad the little runt is turning into a mascot (instead of food). Great pictures of the warthogs and bushbabies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats not a rat. he's pretty cute though. and can you bring some bushbabies back for me?? they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete