Monday, October 3, 2011

Roofs, Rain, and Raffles

It appears I have been a bit delinquent in publishing the blog recently. I apologize. My day to day has been very busy, and I keep forgetting to sit down and write for you all. In addition, my office time has become much more limited with the return of Risette. She held my job before me, and has returned in a new capacity to begin the "outreach program" where we work with the wildlife clubs that the children have formed in their schools after attending Daktari. She stole my office computer - which is fine, because I don't really need it too much - but I have been less available. It is nice to have someone who understands the ins and outs of the job around, to answer the random questions that keep popping up.

This week we are back up to eleven volunteers, seven of whom are French. It is a bit tricky because my American accent can be difficult to understand, but usually the messages don't get too mixed up. We also have three long-term volunteers who are here through December, which is amazing because it means that they can become strong leaders for the group and help the newer volunteers find their way around before asking me. Overall things are running very smoothly!

We have nearly raised enough money to re-do the roofs! Because of the time constraints, Ian and Michele have purchased the materials and are beginning the construction even before we reach our total goal. Other volunteers have had families contribute separately, so we're nearly there, but we could still use a bit more money if there's anyone who was waiting to donate! Today was the first day of roof construction, and started out with clear and beautiful skies, perfect for climbing roofs. Right when they got back to work after lunch the wind picked up, and the sky darkened, and it is currently thunder and lightning and heavy heavy rain. After a quick check of my room (one substantial leak, a few more minor ones), I am very pleased that you all helped me raise the money to fix this problem. This rainstorm today is nothing compared to what will hit us when the rainy season arrives for real!

This weekend Daktari set up a booth at Hoedspruit's annual "Sustainable Living Festival." We spent three days (I was there Friday/Saturday) advertising Daktari and selling tickets to our raffle to raise money. We were raffling off one night at Makalali Private Game Lodge, which is the four-star lodge we work with. We raised a bunch of money and made a lot of new contacts, and were able to tell a lot of locals in Hoedspruit about the important work that we do. Here's a photo of me and Risette in our booth:


It was nice to get the weekend in town, we were able to go out to a proper dinner without dozens of people and kids (which is nice, don't get me wrong), and stay at one of Ian and Michele's friends' amazing house. A proper shower, a proper bed... you cannot underestimate the rejuvenating power of a night in a nice house when you live in the bush! The owners of the house also have the sweetest bushbaby, named Boris, who visited with us all night: 
I really need to look into getting a bushbaby when I get home. They are the softest, sweetest, most amazing animals ever. Oh! Speaking of which! Our very own bushbaby, Chico, just had twins! Their names are Pepita and Pepito, and while I haven't seen them with my own eyes yet, I think this picture tells the story:
Chico is still in the protective phase of new mommy-hood, so she only lets Michele in to see the babies. Soon, though, we should be able to go snuggle them! I can't wait! 
That's all the news from this end for now, I have to go find a replacement rain-activity for mini-golf as it is still dark skies and thunderstorms. I also should probably check that my room hasn't been washed away yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment